Monday, November 14, 2011

Book Review: "elegy on toy piano" by Dean Young


"When something becomes ash,
There is nothing you can do to turn it back.
About this, even diamonds do not lie."

I've decided to mix it up and review a poetry collection tonight. And with good reason, this book is spectacular! This was my first experience with this poet and I am officially a fan. In fact, I am looking forward to purchasing more of his works soon. Dean Young has published around  a dozen books and has been featured in numerous magazines and internet poetry sites. 

This particular work not only has amazing cover art (as you can see) but is a very lively read. A surreal collection that paints a fine line between being delightfully playfully and dark. It's all over the place, to say the least. I especially enjoyed the following poems: Alarm Clock, True/False, Elegy on toy Piano, and Ghost Grease (which starts off with maybe my favorite line from the eentire book "It's eschatology kegger night")

If you are a poetry lover (or you would like to be one) I strongly recommend this book!

To purchase this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Elegy-Toy-Piano-Pitt-Poetry/dp/0822958724/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321320796&sr=8-1

No comments:

Post a Comment