Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Book Review: "Insurrection" by Peter Rollins

"To believe is human.
To doubt, divine."

Peter Rollins is a controversial and widely-sought after author, blogger, and speaker with a PhD in philosophy from Queens University, Belfast. He is  a research associate with the Irish School of Ecumenics in Trinity College, Dublin. He is also the founder of ikon, a faith group that has gained an international reputation for blending live music, visual imagery, soundscapes, theatre, ritual and reflection to create what they call ‘transformance art’.

His latest work is simply dangerous. There is no way around it, If you are not careful this book will wreck you. The introduction says, "There is a fire inside the building; Please step inside" and it captures quite nicely what Pete's new book is all about. He sets fire to beliefs and traditions and burns away the bulk that many would call "christianity" in order to get back to something central - what I call the Jesus Event.

In the likeness of Bonhoeffer, Pete evocatively wrestles with the idea of a "religionless Christianity" and his unassuming, critical approach has done as much to re-align my thinking as any book has in a long time.

I strongly recommend this book, but it's not for the faint of heart. 

To purchase a copy:

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading this, especially since you mentioned Bonhoeffer. I am always a bit leary of tradition smashers, not that there are not traditions in need of smashing. But there are many that neeed affirming. Over the years, I have noticed that those with the long standing tradition of smashing traditions hold THEIR tradition above all others.

    [I did not see a contact link here. If you would be interested in reviewing Oh Holy Night: The Peace of 1914 (96pp., illust.), I would be glad to send you the pdf. You can see some reviews on amazon or links at mikesnow.org]

    [Not sure if this shows you my email; snowfarm at the "comment as" selection]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,
    I understand your weariness but at the same time I thoroughly enjoy "tradition smashers" in that they make me wrestle with some of my own traditions. That way whether or not I agree with the writer I've wrestled with my own views and come to a more honest, thoughtful understanding of them.

    Also, I love reading new stuff so I would definitely be interested in reviewing your book.

    ReplyDelete